Colorado Retail Marijuana Laws
This information is not intended or to be used for legal advice or fact.
Colorado Retail Marijuana Laws vary slightly in each municipality.
- How old do I have to be to purchase marijuana?– You must be 21 and older to buy, possess or use marijuana. It is illegal to give or sell marijuana to minors.
- Where can I purchase marijuana? – Those 21 and older can purchase retail marijuana at licensed retail stores.
- Where am I allowed to consume marijuana? – Marijuana is intended for private, personal use. Marijuana may not be consumed openly or publicly. There are some but few, private members only cannabis clubs in some cities.
- Can I consume marijuana in public? – No, it is illegal to consume marijuana in public.This includes areas accessible to the public such as transportation facilities, schools, amusement/sporting/music venues, parks, playgrounds, sidewalks. It is also illegal to smoke at indoor locations like bars, restaurants and common areas in buildings.
- Can I possess marijuana? And how much? – Since Amendment 64 went into effect in late 2012, adults 21 and older have been allowed to possess up to 1 ounce of retail marijuana.
- How much marijuana can I purchase at one time? – Colorado residents 21 and older can purchase and possess up to 1 ounce of retail marijuana at a time. Non-residents can purchase up to ¼ ounce 7grams) at a time.
- Can I consume marijuana at the retail store? – No, it is illegal to consume marijuana on the property of a recreational marijuana store.
- Can I eat or drink edibles in public? – No. Possession laws are the same for all retail marijuana types, and public consumption is always illegal, regardless of form.
- Can I have marijuana in my car? – Yes. Marijuana may be carried in cars but it may not be in an open container , if in open container must be in trunk or rear cargo area, and cannot cross state boundaries. It is illegal to use or consume marijuana in a motor vehicle and it is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana.
- Can you get in trouble for driving under the influence of marijuana? – Yes. It is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana and it can result in a DUI, just like alcohol. Anyone with 5 nanograms or more of the intoxicant “THC” per 100 milliliter of blood, is considered intoxicated.
- Can I take marijuana to the airport, travel out of state with it? – No. It is illegal to take marijuana across state lines. DIA and Colorado Springs Airport prohibits possession, use, display, and transfer of all marijuana on its property.They have an amnesty box to drop forgotten weed into if needed.
- Can I consume marijuana inside a tobacco smoking friendly hotel room or on a hotel balcony? – It is up to the hotel, if it allows marijuana smoke to be consumed in their smoking rooms. You should ask the hotel if they allow it.
- Is there any other additional prohibitions on use or display of marijuana? – It is illegal to consume, use, display, transfer, distribute, sell or grow retail marijuana at or within any park, parkway, mountain parks or other recreational facilities, on any city-owned property,streets and sidewalks, or within 1,000 feet of a public or private elementary, middle, junior high or high school.